ONGOING MONDAY GROUP: Visual Journaling
Hey there!
If you follow my Instagram or Facebook, you may have noticed that the Visual Journaling group is starting back up!
Last fall, it took place weekly at Art Exchange in downtown Long Beach, then it hibernated through the winter to begin again this upcoming Monday April 23rd in its NEW home at Inspyr Arts on 4th Street.
*Please see the bottom of this post for the when, where, and how info.*
This group is very special to me.
I love it because it supports adult "artists" AND "non-artists" in a creative self-care practice.
One cannot hope to "finish" their Visual Journal in one day, and that's also not the intention of keeping any journal.
The intention of this process is self-care. Adding a page. A page is a part of the book. It is not the whole. It can help us to acknowledge that self-care is ongoing bits and pieces, occurring here and there.
I believe this helps take the pressure off of the creative process. This group is not focused on creating "high art". Or art that you want to hang above your couch. We create personal, expressive, intuitive images in a nonjudgmental atmosphere. Sometimes it's pretty. Sometimes it's ugly. Sounds like an honest reflection of life to me!
This process might start in the group and continue on your own. I appreciate the group piece because we can talk about our images, our days, our lives and connect as people. Or we sit in a busy silence. We can be our whole selves in the presence of others. I know I don't get enough of that in my own life, do you? <3
We start each group by bringing in our own sketchbooks, notebooks, altered books (whatever you'd like to make art in). I use a hardback book that I bought specifically for this purpose, from a thrift store. I introduce myself, the various art materials available, and the Visual Journaling process. Then, everyone digs in. If anyone is not sure where to start, I encourage them to peek through one of the various Community Visual Journals that I bring. Or I have them check out the pre-cut collage images and see what jumps out to them. Starting is the hardest part, then the rest just flows. The group talks freely off and on, then at the end, I open it up for participants to share (or not share) what they worked on that evening.
It really becomes a magical safe place to touch base with creativity, and be present with others' creativity. I love it so much!
Join us!
RSVP: unfoldingpotentials@gmail.com
When: Begins Monday April 23, 2018
Continues Mondays thereafter
6:30-8pm
Where: Inspyr Arts
3910 E 4th St
Long Beach, CA 90814
How: $20 to attend

Comments
Post a Comment