"Should-ing," Letting Be, and Doing


A favorite saying of mine is, "Stop 'should-ing' all over yourself."
It's funny, but also true.

Sometimes it's easy to look at life with a critical eye and a negative perspective leading to thoughts such as: I should do this.  I should be that.  I should be meditating regularly.  I should exercise.  I should read more books, watch more documentaries, be more active in politics, create more art...and so on.

We can get caught in a spiral of beating ourselves up because we're not meeting certain expectations.

And how does that help us?  Does it get YOU excited about doing any of those things?
For me, all the "shoulds" make me just wanna give up!  Which is the opposite of what I want.

When I notice myself getting caught in the "shoulds" (sometimes it's immediate, but other times, it might take a day or two!!), I try to shift my perspective into letting myself be, as I am, in that moment. This is the same as accepting myself for all the things I'm doing, AND all the things I'm not doing.  Extending myself kindness and compassion, patience and gentleness. 

This practice reminds me that I am a whole person.  When I get caught in the "shoulds," I am dividing myself, encouraging parts of myself to judge and berate other parts of myself.  It's a bit saddening, isn't it?  Loving and appreciating all parts of ourselves is certainly an ongoing practice.

After I am able to accept where I am, and let myself be, THEN I can act and do something.  It's interesting to notice that when we don't beat ourselves up with the "shoulds," doing the things we want can unfold MUCH easier.

With that being said, I worked on a couple paintings this weekend; after "shoulding," letting myself be...I just "did" without much thought or planning!  

[Image is below. My friend found a painting (left image) sticking out of the trash and asked if I wanted to work on it because we both liked the original subject matter. The right image is my work.  It's not quite finished yet! :D]

What happens for YOU when you stop the "shoulds"?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost

Going Somewhere

Busy as Distraction