Being Introverted



Today, I wanted to share about being introverted, and being able to take care of myself as such.

Being introverted means that 1. Being around people depletes my energy at varying rates and 2. I am able to regain this energy and recharge by being by myself, preferably in my home.
Does NOT mean- I hate people, I'm socially awkward, I don't have fun... so on and so forth. lol
Conversely, extroverted people gain energy by being around people.  This isn't cut and dry because introversion and extroversion exist more on a continuum, but I won't get into that right now.

I am constantly learning how to take care of myself as an introvert.  Situations and circumstances are always changing, so I feel like I really need to know myself well and I have to be comfortable with setting boundaries when needed.

As with any self-knowledge adventure; one must strive to be gentle and patient with the self.  I have to remind myself of this ALL the time!  I am a perfectionist.  When I make "mistakes," it is SO important for me to approach myself with nonjudgment.  However, beating ourselves up about mistakes doesn't help anybody!

Here are some things I have learned about myself as an introvert-

One thing I know: I can't go out and be super social two nights in a row.  I've tried.  Many times.  The second night always ends up awkward because I just have no more energy/thought power to connect with others.

Another thing: After a full week of working with others, very rarely can I go out on a Friday and expect to have a good time (unless I don't have to talk to anyone! lol).  

Situations that require extra recharge time:

  • when I'm in a transition
  • new schedule
  • new people in my life
  • when I've been sick
  • unexpected changes


Things that help the recharge process:

  • familiar things- surroundings, tasks, movies/TV shows
  • spending time with my cat
  • journaling
  • creating art without expectations
  • keeping close to home
  • eating food that is good for my body
  • connecting to my spirituality (lighting candles, updating my altar, using my Goddess Card deck, etc.)
  • cleaning my apartment
  • turning my phone off
  • re-reading fiction 
  • cancelling plans if I need to!!!
  • communicating my needs to well-meaning friends/partners/family members


Signals that I need recharge time:

  • irritability around other people
  • difficulty listening to friends
  • inability to feel connected when communicating with others
  • situations that are normally "fun" for me feel annoying
  • feeling overwhelmed
  • feeling an urge to go home

What would you include on your lists?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost

Going Somewhere

Busy as Distraction