Tree Drawings


This week, I wanted to write a little bit about my art. 
Currently, I am offering a selection of my artwork as prints (see link at bottom of page).  The selection does not include the most "fine art" specimens I have ever created. I chose the selection because they are all genuine pieces of myself.  I created them as a way to ease the pressure of different felt-experiences; allowing the emotions to leak out of my heart and into the paper.  This gave movement to the feelings, allowed light to reach them, and cleared the way for healing.

The pieces I focus on today are my series of tree drawings.

These trees were originally created as an emotional "check-in"; answering the question, "How am I feeling?" in that particular moment.  
I drew many of these trees during graduate school (for Transpersonal Counseling Psychology and Art Therapy), where it was imperative for me to track my own emotional experiences in order to receive the full benefits of the education. 

So... Trees, eh?
Trees are a great metaphor for me: growth, strength, endurance of time/change, protective, wise, silent, offering support, grounding/taking root, and so much more.
I started with the knowledge there would be a tree as a result.  This was a self-chosen prompt. 

My process was one of letting my thinking/calculating mind take the back seat, while intuition navigated the control.
This is my favorite way to create art, and I also integrate this in my Visual Journaling group.

I began with mechanical pencil, went over with Sharpie to give bold, defined structure, then filled in with Prismacolor pencils to give life and personality. 
I let the lines twist and flow...
My hand followed the lines; not stopping to plan ahead...
Feeling where it needed to go; chasing the glimpse of form in my mind
Choosing each color intuitively, as it leapt out at me
Each form concluded in elegance and simplicity. No need for more.

Each drawing encapsulated my feelings at the time. 
The trees became entities, containing spiritual and emotional experiences.
They were a new way of documenting time.  A way that displayed multiple layers of meaning, that are still continuing to unfold for me.

I am absolutely delighted to be able to share my drawings with you in this way.  Hopefully you are able to find your own meanings in the layers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost

Having an Open Heart

Grain by Grain...