Hello and Welcome!

Today marks my official 2 year anniversary with Long Beach.  This is a real holiday in my book.

And it is probably the best day to start my blog and tell you a little about what got me to this place...

Moving to Long Beach was officially the "craziest thing" I've ever done.

In the beginning of 2015, I had a job as an Art Therapist in Denver, Colorado.  I was "doing what I went to school for" like I was "supposed to", but I felt restless, and burned out for a number of reasons.  To feel more balanced, I decided to get a part-time job in something that I was passionate about (outside the realm and responsibility of therapy); I got a part-time receptionist job at a dance studio. 

I love to dance. I never had lessons as a kid because of this or that reason, but I've always loved to dance, and it has always been a key way for me to expel pent up emotion (self-care, anyone?).

While I was the studio receptionist (and art therapist), I learned about a 3 month dance certificate program at International Dance Academy-IDA in Hollywood.  I had begun this part-time job in April 2015, and ended up enrolling at IDA for October 2015. This decision was SUPER out of character for me, but I was finally in a place to be able to give my inner child her long-coveted dance lessons, and by-golly, she was going to get them!!!

The plan was for me to stay with a family in Long Beach for the duration; ya know, one of those friend-of-a-friend situations.  

On September 27th, 2015, I drove into Long Beach for the first time, and knew immediately I didn't want to leave.  I actually had pangs of sadness in my heart, an aching, knowing that I was only in Long Beach temporarily, and afterward, I would return to Denver.

During the time I was in Long Beach, I fell in love with the place.  It's not because it's perfect; I love Long Beach because it is not, and it does not pretend to be. Long Beach is filled with diverse down-to-earth people, it's next to the ocean, and I feel accepted here. SOLD!

Sometime amidst the dance program, I officially broke my lease in Denver.  And returned there for New Years and packing.  My lease ended on the 15th of January.  

I didn't have a job, nor apartment, nor a giant savings account, nor ride to Long Beach from Denver (I left my car in LB and had flown back).  Talk about nerve-racking; I was a panicked mess!  But, deep in my heart, I knew that this was the only way for me to move forward.

I stayed with my friends in Denver after the 15th.  Over the phone, I ended up securing a little 1 bedroom apartment for me and my cat, via an acquaintance I had made in my short LB stay.  A large portion of my belongings hitched a ride with some friends who were moving to San Diego.  Another portion of my stuff took a rideshare (via Craigslist) to LB. Then, finally, my cat and I secured our own rideshare to LB on January 22nd with a guy who was moving to Hollywood to be with his girlfriend.  I landed at my new home on January 23rd, 2016.  Talk about crazy stuff!  A week after I was in LB, I received a job offer (from one of the countless applications I filled out online between Dec. and Jan.) and began work in February.

Sometimes following intuition (or your heart) can look alot like flying by the seat of your pants.  It looks unstable.  It looks terrifying.  Turning in "stability" for the unknown?!  That's crazy!  

But, really, I can't even try to imagine who I would be now if I had not chosen myself, and my heart.  I always like to remind myself of this story because, holy crap, if I did that and made it through, surely I can continue following my dreams and I will be supported!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost

Having an Open Heart

Grain by Grain...